Interview with D.W. Raleigh, author of Shiloh’s True Nature

D.W. Raleigh is from the Delaware valley.  He has several college degrees, including an M.A. in Philosophy.  He has worked as a Race track teller, Debt collector, and Merchandiser in addition to being a published Author.  Shiloh’s True Nature is the first in a series of novels he plans to write. 

When did you begin writing?

I started compiling notes for Shiloh’s True Nature in 2007-2008.  Over the course of a year, I constructed an outline that grew to about 50,000 words.  By the autumn of 2009, I decided to stop fiddling with the outline and start writing the book.  I finished the first draft in the late spring of 2010.  I edited and tinkered with the book nonstop until I found my publisher, Hobbes End, in the spring of 2012.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

For the most part, I wrote Shiloh’s True Nature at night.  Every night before I went to bed I would work on it.  I can remember more than a few nights where I was in a groove and would look at the clock and be agitated that I had to stop.  Oddly enough, I now find myself working on the second book mostly during daylight hours.

What is this book about?

Shiloh’s True Nature is a story is full of mythic themes.  In the book, Shiloh Williams, a twelve year old farm boy, goes to visit his estranged grandfather.  The adventure begins in his grandfather’s town, Fair Hill; a mystical place where everyone has amazing and unusual abilities.

What inspired you to write it?

Two works from the late Joseph Campbell were very integral to my writing Shiloh’s True Nature.  Campbell’s The Power of Myth and The Hero With A Thousand Faces provided me with a roadmap to successfully tell my story.  When I was in the formative stages of STN, I was compiling numerous mythological concepts and came across Campbell’s books.  Though they had no bearing on content, his insights into mythologies and how to structure such tales were invaluable. 

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Starting July 15, 2014, the book will be available through my publisher’s website http://hobbesendpublishing.com/   Also, it will be available through Amazon.com and I believe other booksellers as well. 

What is up next for you?


I am currently working on the second installment in the Shiloh series.  While the coming story is part of the series, I’m doing my best to make sure that, like the first, it will be able to stand on its own.  So, when someone picks it up, they will be able to appreciate the story and not feel like they’ve missed something.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.