Bookish Talk with Genevieve Crownson, author of 'The Soul of the Sun'




Genevieve Crownson graduated from the College of Charleston with a Bachelors of Science degree. A love of writing led her to pen her debut novel, The Soul of the Sun. This is book one in her highly anticipated trilogy, The Argos Dynasty. She currently lives in beautiful Charleston, SC with her family and beloved four-legged friends.

You can find her at www.genevievecrownson.com.

About the Book:

“The hands of time turn on the face of the sun. Only you can move them. If the Watcher controls the hands of the clock he can go anywhere, past or future-- and destroy our planet.” 

Since the days of ancient
Greece, the Argos dynasty has kept a secret, a mystery passed down through their descendants from generation to generation, in the hopes that the forces of good can stop the evil destruction of planet Earth. 

Margaret Ingall is harboring that secret. Time is running out for the descendants of the
Argos. They know a great healer and time traveler will be born of their blood. But the only person that knows whom they will call “the soul of the sun” is Margaret’s sister, Abigail. Before she can reveal the healer’s identity, disaster strikes… 

Evil stalks them, watching and waiting to find out which member of her family has the ultimate power. Is it Margaret’s own child? Or her beloved granddaughter? Or even herself? Their only clue is a powerful protective amulet that will lead them all in a cat-and-mouse game to discover secrets as ancient as time.
 

If the Watcher discovers the truth before they do, all will be lost.
 

Fate, time and love weave together in their struggle to fulfill their destiny. Will Margaret’s fears sabotage her family’s protection? Can the healer accept her gifts in time? And once the soul of the sun is finally revealed, will it be too late?
 

Her power is incredible. The sacrifices required of her are immense.
 

Will it be enough to stop the Watcher?
 
 


Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life!  Now that your book has been published, we’d love to find out more about the process.  Can we begin by having you take us at the beginning?  Where did you come up with the idea to write your book?

A: My ideas always come to me as I sleep. I have these vivid lifelike dreams. I often wake up at some unearthly hour and find myself racing to jot down every detail before I forget. They unfold in my mind like a movie; I am always the eye witness, watching and waiting to see what happens next. The dreams bring with them a strange sense of time and place I can’t describe. For example in my opening scene for The Soul of the Sun I remember distinctly the feel of the salt on my skin and the taste of the sea on my tongue as I observed Margaret speaking with her granddaughter. I could feel Margaret’s secret and I knew Emma was a part of it. These characters were as real and alive to me as individuals who turned up in my awakened state. I do take my dreams and expand on them, as I endeavor to make them spring to life on the page. This is my gift. It seems that these stories are a part of me waiting to be told.

Q: How hard was it to write a book like this and do you have any tips that you could pass on which would make the journey easier for other writers?

A: My book The Soul of the Sun is immersed in time travel and magic. Time travel is a very delicate art to balance. I had to keep track of all the events; the comings and goings of the characters as they wove back and forth through different phases of their lives. I also had to keep up with both Margaret and Emma’s life stories. Going into the book I didn’t outline and this hindered me in terms of having to rewrite certain sections to correct time sequences. The journey would have been made much easier if I had outlined. It would have kept everything moving forward in a much tidier fashion. I have outlined my upcoming books and it has helped the process a great deal. I highly recommend it. I know not everyone likes to work with an outline but trust me you will thank yourself later if you do. Outlining doesn’t have to be a rigid black and white experience, just make sure you know where you’re going, that you have the time sequence right, and that every chapter moves the story forward in some way. Once you’ve completed this process you can sit down to write knowing where you have to end up and you can still let your imagination fly.

Q: Who is your publisher and how did you find them or did you self-publish?

A: I decided that I couldn’t wait to get my story out into the world once I had my polished manuscript in hand. I wanted people to read it and enjoy it right away so I decided to self-publish.

Q: Is there anything that surprised you about getting your first book published?

A: I didn’t realize how much work went into a book after it’s written; it’s really only the beginning. You have to publish your novel and then you begin the task of marketing so people know your book exists. It is all well and good that you have written a book but if nobody is there to read it, what’s the point. It’s been a real eye-opener to realize what authors must to do to get their books into reader’s hands. I have learned a great deal and I’m learning more each day.

Q: What other books (if any) are you working on and when will they be published?

A: I am working on the follow up books to The Soul of the Sun. The Power of Alchemy, book two in the Argos Dynasty trilogy, will be out soon. You can check out my website www.genevievecrownson.com to get a sneak peak at the cover and get more information. I will also be posting there as soon as I have a publication date for book two.

Q: What’s your favorite place to hang out online?

A: I enjoy Facebook. It’s a place to connect and chat with my readers and follow all the people I am inspired by. I can chat with friends and family that are far away. I have family overseas so it’s a nice way to stay in touch.

Q: Finally, what message (if any) are you trying to get across with your book?

A: The Soul of the Sun is about the notion that when you choose to believe in yourself anything is possible. I want people to come away with the idea that love is all around us, just as Margaret says. When we live our lives fearlessly the possibilities are endless.J
  
Q: Thank you again for this interview!  Do you have any final words?

A: I want to thank all my readers for their love and support. Your words of encouragement mean the world to me. I am so glad you are enjoying the journey of Margaret and Emma as much I am. I also want to give a big thanks to The Writer’s Life for this interview.



No comments

Powered by Blogger.