So what are sharing buttons?
For the sake of those who do not know it is a simple code of html that you add to your blog that allows your visitors to share your blog posts with their followers. It's really easy peasy and the advantages far outweigh not having them.
My favorite sharing buttons are Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest, but there are many many others. Here's what happens. You post a blog post and hopefully Google will index you high enough so that you end up on the first page of search. But you can't rely on that all the time. Sharing buttons gives you more promoting power and definitely more reach.
- You (and others) don't have to take the url of your blog post, create a shortened url (for Twitter) and do it manually. It's a painstaking process which requires time, which we have so little of.
- Sharing buttons create an easy one two three click (depending on how many social network buttons you want the post to appear on) and sends your link to other people's social network accounts.
- For authors, this could mean more sales for you (I'm in the middle of an experiment which will prove it)
Oh I wouldn't leave you hanging. If you have no idea how to get sharing buttons, here is what you do. While there are probably many places to get them, I choose ShareThis.com. Here's what you do:
- Visit http://sharethis.com/publishers/get-sharing-tools.
- Next step, choose your blogging platform (Blogger, Wordpress, etc.)
- With Wordpress, you add the plugin.
- With Blogger, follow the directions at the site.
Your followers will love you, I will love you and your book will love you.